Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Lubrication of an old motor

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Ed, it's always humorous to see the many distorted interpretations of a
useful tip.

Oh, yeah. A lot of them fly around here. Fortunately there also are a lot of
knowledgeable people here who usually catch them before they breed.

I've heard that a flush with kero can help remove the remaining dirty oil
during an oil change, and seems entirely sensible. After the dirty oil is
drained, a quart-or-so of kero is poured in and runs out the drain hole.

I think you really have to stir up any of that oil-and-water glop in a
poorly cared-for engine. Whether just running kero through it would do
anything is problematic.

How this would get to the point of running an engine, and driving the car
for several days is beyond comprehension.

Well, they used to do it, 'way back, and even into the '50s. But my
impression is that it's mostly an old-wive's tale that has ruined a lot of
engines.

I could possibly see how some folks might add a quart of kero, after
removing a quart of dirty oil, and operate the vehicle for a short time,
in an attempt to try to remove built-up deposits or gummy residues before
an oil change.

The most reasonable one I've heard was to add a quart of Rislone after
removing a quart of dirty oil, and operate the vehicle for maybe (as much
as) a couple of hundred miles, for additional internal cleaning, prior to
an oil change.

I don't do any of the above anymore.. what ever comes out when the plug is
removed is replaced with fresh oil, plus enough for the new filter.

The detergents in modern oil are so good that, if they won't do it, you're
ready for one of those internal pressure/pumping treatments at Jiffy Lube,
or even an engine tear-down and cleaning.

Modern engines won't tolerate that kind of playing around, in any case. It
was different when castings were thick and soft, and pistons were C.I.
rather than aluminum. My dad used to tell me how *his* dad would de-carbon
the head on the ol' Model A -- using an O/A torch with the head still on.

Ed Huntress