Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Investigating telephone extension

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:11:59 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, The
Natural Philosopher randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

that should be OK for reliability..it looks like your line is subject to
burst noise tho, as normally you will synch at 6-8dB SDNR.

Looks like BT has (rightly by the sound of it) adjusted you for a high
noise margin. Or if it's LLU then easynet have.

When I first signed up, it was for 2Mb. That worked well enough for a
couple of months, but I started having problems, and UKOnline lowered
my line's speed to 1Mb in February 2006. It's been fine until three
days ago. IIRC, the figures were around 56db & 15dB.

So attenuation has been stable..just a bit more noise..

Are you on a fixed rate service or ADSL MAX?

You MAY find it better to go to ADSL MAX if you are not on it 'up to
8Mbps' is the key phrase. You won't get it, but at least the line will
rate adapt down to about as good as is possible at any give time.

Educate yourself with a rather good site

www.kitz.co.uk

How far from the exchange are you? Attenuation suggests maybe 5 miles or
so..?

About two as the crow flies. Probably 3 miles if the cables follow the
main roads. All I know is I'm at the edge of my exchange's area.

MM. tis a bugger. Being on the end of long wires. Somewhere there is a
postcode tester that tells you what you SHOULD get.

PS apologies about last post.Its not you talking out of anus..it was
'simon'..had too much whiskey after lunch..

Your last and final point of call is probably to tell the ISP that you
have seen a rapid, recent and sustained drop in performance, and ask
them to get BT to test the line. If its wandered over the edge of BT;'s
spec I think BT are actually quite good in running new cables, or
switching you to a new pair etc.