Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula Hugo Nebula is offline

Default Investigating telephone extension

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:25:33 +0000 (GMT), a particular chimpanzee,
"Dave Liquorice" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:30:12 +0000, Hugo Nebula wrote:

About two as the crow flies. Probably 3 miles if the cables follow the
main roads. All I know is I'm at the edge of my exchange's area.

Ah, sounds like a crap lossy line then. Our line length is similar but
with 43dB loss, SNR 15dB day 7dB night and stable sync speeds are in the
low 5,000's. Is voice clear and noise free?

Yes.

3 miles is not the "edge of an exchnage area" at least not in a rural
area. Long lines are 10 miles+ and struggle for voice to work let alone
ADSL...

I'm in a city suburb, and a few roads away the houses have different
codes and are served by a different exchange (according to Samknows).

The LLU may well add to the problem as well, yet another reason for the
involved companies (BT Openreach (the wire), BT Wholesale (the backhaul),
UKOnline/Easynet) to bounce the problem between themselves.

Is that a euphemism for passing the buck?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"