Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Really stupid light

I think the lamp requires a ballast like device that charges the lamp on
startup.They can be replaced.
JJ
wrote in message
I have one of those common mercury vapor yard lights found on most
farms. Early last spring it started to refuse to light and I thought
the bulb was dead. I was not going up there with snow still on the
ground, so I lived with out it, and just put a portable light on the
pole. All of a sudden the yard light started to work again, and has
worked every night all of the later spring, and all summer. All of a
sudden the weather is getting cold again, and the light will not turn
on. However, if I shut off the switch for a 30 seconds and flip it
back on, the light starts and works all night long. A few days ago,
the weather warmed up again, and the light worked again. Tonite it's
very cold and it will not light even after I flip the switch.

This is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Why the heck
would it work when the weather is warm, and either struggle or refuse
to light when it's cold weather. This is just plain rediculous.

It's not the switch or power source, I checked the power and replaced
the switch. This almost seems like a challenge for an electrical
engineer....