Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Really stupid light

I have one of those common mercury vapor yard lights found on most
farms. Early last spring it started to refuse to light and I thought
the bulb was dead. I was not going up there with snow still on the
ground, so I lived with out it, and just put a portable light on the
pole. All of a sudden the yard light started to work again, and has
worked every night all of the later spring, and all summer. All of a
sudden the weather is getting cold again, and the light will not turn
on. However, if I shut off the switch for a 30 seconds and flip it
back on, the light starts and works all night long. A few days ago,
the weather warmed up again, and the light worked again. Tonite it's
very cold and it will not light even after I flip the switch.

This is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Why the heck
would it work when the weather is warm, and either struggle or refuse
to light when it's cold weather. This is just plain rediculous.

It's not the switch or power source, I checked the power and replaced
the switch. This almost seems like a challenge for an electrical
engineer....

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

I think the lamp requires a ballast like device that charges the lamp on
startup.They can be replaced.
JJ
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

This is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Why the heck
would it work when the weather is warm, and either struggle or refuse
to light when it's cold weather. This is just plain rediculous.

I don't work in the cold either.

Probably the ballast.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Those fixtures are cheap enough that the most practical thing to do,outside
of changing lamps, is replace it. The problem is most likely a weak igniter,
which is part of the ballast kit

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Both the bulb and the photocell control are temperature sensitive. Replacing
one or both should solve your problem. I would suspect the control a bit
more than the bulb.

Don Young