Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Update on wire brushing

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Ignoramus11967" wrote in message

On 2007-11-17, Tom Gardner wrote:

Shush! Nobody's supposed to know that. The usual method of using wire
wheels is to press the workpiece harder into the under-powered,
under-revved, wrong trim length, wrong wire size, wrong diameter, wrong
width wire wheel. I'm convinced that less than 1% of people use a wire
wheel properly and I want to keep it that way! You're supposed to use a
brush once, destroy it and throw it away...then go buy a new one.

Tom, what would be a proper HP and RPM for a 8", 3/4" wide wire wheel?

What wire size? What trim? EG. my shop brush is 10" x 2" x .014" wire x 3"
trim and it's on a 2-1/2 HP (maybe a bit over-kill) 3600 rpm. An 8" x 3/4"
x .014" oil-tempered wire at 4500 rpm (or about 75% MSFS) with at least 1 hp
is a good GP set-up for most anything you will want to do. If it slows much
under load, not good. If you find you're pushing the work, not good, only
the wire tips do the work. DON'T CHANGE ROTATION!!! = early death! The
right set-up will last hundreds of hours. (PS...I sell to McMaster)

Dont cange rotation? Id be grateful for aproper technical explanation
for this.

I do that regularly and it doesnt effect the life ofc the brush, in fact
it extends the life. you get more work done this way.
Read my last post on brush usage.
Could it be that as you sell these youve a vested interest in seeing
the brushes last as little as possible?
Its not meant as a chriticism just an normal engineering question.