Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Investigating telephone extension

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:22:02 UTC, "Simon"
wrote:

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
Please bear with me: My ADSL router is connected via an extension
from the BT master socket in the hall. The distance to the exchange
is high and I've never got a particularly good connection, but it's
been acceptable at 1Mbps. I'm with UKOnline/Easynet LLU.

OK up to now.

Over the last few days the speed and the stability have dropped
markedly. It happened between 6:00pm and 8:00pm on Wednesday. On
phoning my ISP, they said that it could be my internal wiring (well,
they would, wouldn't they?).

That's because it's peak time when loads of people switch on and try to use
the Internet. The company you are paying can't keep up with demand so
everyone has their transfer speeds lowered.

How would that affect stability?
http://www.diybanter.com