Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula Hugo Nebula is offline

Default Investigating telephone extension

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:11:59 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, The
Natural Philosopher randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

that should be OK for reliability..it looks like your line is subject to
burst noise tho, as normally you will synch at 6-8dB SDNR.

Looks like BT has (rightly by the sound of it) adjusted you for a high
noise margin. Or if it's LLU then easynet have.

When I first signed up, it was for 2Mb. That worked well enough for a
couple of months, but I started having problems, and UKOnline lowered
my line's speed to 1Mb in February 2006. It's been fine until three
days ago. IIRC, the figures were around 56db & 15dB.

How far from the exchange are you? Attenuation suggests maybe 5 miles or
so..?

About two as the crow flies. Probably 3 miles if the cables follow the
main roads. All I know is I'm at the edge of my exchange's area.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"