Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default older vets will remember this metal

According to Harold and Susan Vordos :

[ ... ]

I was a member of the 625th MP Co. ----our sidearm was the 45 ACP ---and
judging from their dreadful condition, likely from WW I. :-)

I'll never forget the reaming I got when we were at the firing line, for
qualification, and told to squeeze off one round. Mine managed two, but
only one pull of the trigger. I had to do a serious amount of
explaining-----"honest, Sir, I really pulled it only once". Full auto,
but on its own terms.

You were *lucky*. A place where I used to go to shoot had an
accident. One fellow brought in a very worn .45 ACP which he had
inherited, loaded up a clip and put it in. When he pulled the slide
latch, it proceed to load and fire each round in rapid sequence, before
he could shift to get a better grip. As a result, the weapon pivoted on
the web of his thumb climbing with each round until the last two shots
went into his head and chest. He did *not* survive that.

It sounds as though yours was very close to that stage.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564