Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner Tom Gardner is offline

Default Update on wire brushing

"beecrofter" wrote in message
On Nov 16, 9:24 am, Ignoramus11967 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11967.invalid wrote:
My older flat wheel wire brush from Menards was vibrating rather
wildly on my 1/2 HP motor. So a few days ago I asked a bunch of
questions about wire brushing, hoping to improve my situation.

Here's the outcome. I bought a 8" fine wire bruch from McMaster, item
4840A48. Also bought one extra motor arbor adaptor.

After replacing the previous brush and previous adapter with both new
brush and a new adapter, the difference is huge. The motor no longer
vibrates, the noise is gone, and it is all smooth and quiet.

I believe that 1/2 horsepower is fine for this fine bristle brush,
because the manual says do not press too much on it when brushing. If
I do not press too hard, then the motor keeps up with speed just
fine. This is a 50 year old Peerless motor that cost me just $2 (IIRC)
and if I can use it, I will be happy.

What I use this brush for, is I clean various gunky or slightly rusty
things.

FWIW those blocks of abrasive used to clean a diamond wheel do a bang
up job of "sharpening" a wire wheel and making it cut better.

Shush! Nobody's supposed to know that. The usual method of using wire
wheels is to press the workpiece harder into the under-powered,
under-revved, wrong trim length, wrong wire size, wrong diameter, wrong
width wire wheel. I'm convinced that less than 1% of people use a wire
wheel properly and I want to keep it that way! You're supposed to use a
brush once, destroy it and throw it away...then go buy a new one.