Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Water heater/plumbing in an empty house?

On Nov 16, 7:03 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Fuel (electric gas or oil) should be shut off to the water heater. Why
would there be a need for water?

If you are really concerned, you can drain the pipes and use RV
antifreeze for the drains to freee proof your home.

Extreme temperatures can damage some building components and furniture
so you may want to keep the heat on, but if you are careful, including
removing caned goods etc. you should be able to turn that off also. I guess
it is a trade off of possible problems with the heating system or damage
from the cold. Of course turning it off will save energy cost.

"Lee" wrote in message

. ..

I'm moving in a month, and my current house will be empty until I sell it
in the spring. I'm concerned about two plumbing issues 1) frozen pipes if
the furnace should happen to die when I'm not there 2) Hot water heater
leaking, and having had that happen to me, I know how much of a mess that
can make just overnight. What if it went undetected for a week! I'm
probably more concerned about the water heater or random spontaneous leaks
than a whole house freeze, since this is a row house in Maryland, so we're
not talking sub-zero weather.

So on to my question - if I turn the water off for the house, will that
affect the water heater at all, say if it leaked? Would it matter that the
the heating element was heating an empty tank? I suppose I could turn off
the water heater, but I'm really intimidated by all things gas, and worry
about how to relight it. It's a gas water heater, 6 yr old. I am going to
be having some work done over the winter (paint, kitchen upgrade etc), so
I suppose those people will need some water, even if it isn't hot water.
Or can I turn the water off just to the heater, and stick a note on the
sink to any repairmen saying they need to turn it on if they want hot
water? Am I asking for trouble if I turn the water off to the house too
often (like could it somehow break the spigot)?

Sorry, I'm obviously not a do-it-yourselfer around the house, but I'm a
great worrier sigh. And this probably isn't exactly a repair
question.... more how to avoid a repair. I know the water heater isn't
that old; it's just the idea that it could leak undetected for a week or
more that concerns me. (And on that note, I guess I should turn off the
spigots at the washing machine).

Thanks.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

Turn off the water at the street, drain the pipes and tank, use
antifreeze in the traps, dont heat it and save money.