Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Water heater/plumbing in an empty house?

I'm moving in a month, and my current house will be empty until I sell
it in the spring. I'm concerned about two plumbing issues 1) frozen
pipes if the furnace should happen to die when I'm not there 2) Hot
water heater leaking, and having had that happen to me, I know how much
of a mess that can make just overnight. What if it went undetected for a
week! I'm probably more concerned about the water heater or random
spontaneous leaks than a whole house freeze, since this is a row house
in Maryland, so we're not talking sub-zero weather.

So on to my question - if I turn the water off for the house, will that
affect the water heater at all, say if it leaked? Would it matter that
the the heating element was heating an empty tank? I suppose I could
turn off the water heater, but I'm really intimidated by all things gas,
and worry about how to relight it. It's a gas water heater, 6 yr old. I
am going to be having some work done over the winter (paint, kitchen
upgrade etc), so I suppose those people will need some water, even if it
isn't hot water. Or can I turn the water off just to the heater, and
stick a note on the sink to any repairmen saying they need to turn it on
if they want hot water? Am I asking for trouble if I turn the water off
to the house too often (like could it somehow break the spigot)?

Sorry, I'm obviously not a do-it-yourselfer around the house, but I'm
a great worrier sigh. And this probably isn't exactly a repair
question.... more how to avoid a repair. I know the water heater isn't
that old; it's just the idea that it could leak undetected for a week or
more that concerns me. (And on that note, I guess I should turn off the
spigots at the washing machine).

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 7:03 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Fuel (electric gas or oil) should be shut off to the water heater. Why
would there be a need for water?

If you are really concerned, you can drain the pipes and use RV
antifreeze for the drains to freee proof your home.

Extreme temperatures can damage some building components and furniture
so you may want to keep the heat on, but if you are careful, including
removing caned goods etc. you should be able to turn that off also. I guess
it is a trade off of possible problems with the heating system or damage
from the cold. Of course turning it off will save energy cost.

. ..

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

Turn off the water at the street, drain the pipes and tank, use
antifreeze in the traps, dont heat it and save money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

turn off the main water valve, turn the heat control to vacation, and
put in a thermostatically controlled low temperature switch that will
flash a light if temperature gets too low.

do know that vacant homes tend to have bad things happen arson,
break ins etc. you might have a security system installed to protect
the home and contents like tools etc.

also be aware homeowners doesnt usually cover a long term vacant home,
but if you tell your insurer homeowners will sky rocket in price. dont
tell them and arson occurs they may not pay.

might be worth it to offer home to friends to live there real cheap
till your ready to sell. provides built in security and activity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:12:10 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

turn off the main water valve, turn the heat control to vacation, and
put in a thermostatically controlled low temperature switch that will
flash a light if temperature gets too low.

do know that vacant homes tend to have bad things happen arson,
break ins etc. you might have a security system installed to protect
the home and contents like tools etc.

also be aware homeowners doesnt usually cover a long term vacant home,
but if you tell your insurer homeowners will sky rocket in price. dont
tell them and arson occurs they may not pay.

might be worth it to offer home to friends to live there real cheap
till your ready to sell. provides built in security and activity.

You probably don't want to let your house go below freezing. 45F is a
good setpoint for your thermostat. Go ahead and drain the pipes and
put the antifreeze in the traps if you want extra assurance.

Bad things can happen to your house (other than frozen pipes) if you
let everything freeze up. Concrete can crack, walls can shift,
foundations can become troublesome, and you can have standing water
freezing up that you may not even know about. It's just not worth it
in a cold climate.

If it were me personally, I would keep the water on inside the house
and keep the water heater on but turned down as low as it will go.
Relighting the pilot light can be a challenge to someone who hasn't
done it before. Shut off (and drain, if possible) your outside
bibcocks and your washing machine supply valves.

Finally, if you can't get a neighbor to check the home every day, you
might want to get one of those electronic monitors/low temp alerts
that work with a phone line.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fuel (electric gas or oil) should be shut off to the water heater. Why
would there be a need for water?
********If you are really concerned, you can drain the
pipes and use RV antifreeze for the drains to freee proof your home.
********Extreme temperatures can damage some building
components and furniture so you may want to keep the heat on, but if you
are careful, including removing caned goods etc. you should be able to
turn that off also. I guess it is a trade off of possible problems with
the heating system or damage from the cold. Of course turning it off
will save energy cost.

-------------------

Removing the canned goods will stave off damage to the building
components and furniture...? I'm glad I removed mine then..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

wrote:

[...]

I hadn't planned on not heating the house (sorry, I guess it could have
been interpreted that way), just turning the heat down. My concern would
be if the furnace suddenly died, although even then it "probably"
wouldn't get too cold too fast since it's an older brick row house,
which seem to keep warmer. (I once lived in an inside row house and
barely turned the heat on, because my two neighbors kept their homes so
warm). I'm moving about 1/2 hr away and will probably get over there at
least once a week, since it's on the way to a class that I take. If we
suddenly had a frigid snap, I could get over more often (I'd grumble,
but I could get there).

As for neighbors, nah, that's one of the reasons I'm moving. I really
don't know anyone here any more. Any info on the electronic monitors
(and would one also monitor for water)? I'd have to leave the phone on,
but for the peace of mind, that'd be worth it.

BTW re insurance, the insurance co knows I'm moving, because I'm getting
the policy on my new house from them. I also have a policy on my
parents' house that I inherited; it's been empty for a year and a half
(knock on wood, finally settling this week!) and the same company
covered that with no questions. With this one, I plan on having
renovations done in Jan/Feb and then listing it, so hopefully they won't
consider it too vacant.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.