Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Remodeling - increasing exterior wall thickness?

Before you start -- read your condominium contract -- in most condos you
cannot individually change doors, windows and open the walls as the
structure and exterior are not owned by the condo owner but by the condo
corporation. In many areas everything under the interior coat of paint is
part of the condo corporation and can only be changed by the board running
the condo.

wrote in message
I am looking to remodel my condo unit, which was originally built as
cheap apartments for factory workers and college students. You can
imagine the shortcuts the builders took... the unit was built in 1970.
Anyway, I am planning on replacing windows, doors, and the HVAC
system. All (or most) of the walls will be completely opened up
anyway, and I may end up rewiring and replumbing, too. (I've got
friends who are licensed in these areas!)
The exterior walls (not the party walls shared with adjoining units)
are usually cold in winter and very warm in summer (upstate NY).
There is insulation, but the unit only has 2x4 walls. I was
wondering... is there a relatively painless way to increase the wall
thickness? Is it worth it? What are the issues with doing this?
Thanks in advance,
Mike