Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Update on wire brushing

"Ignoramus11967" wrote in message
My older flat wheel wire brush from Menards was vibrating rather
wildly on my 1/2 HP motor. So a few days ago I asked a bunch of
questions about wire brushing, hoping to improve my situation.

Here's the outcome. I bought a 8" fine wire bruch from McMaster, item
4840A48. Also bought one extra motor arbor adaptor.

After replacing the previous brush and previous adapter with both new
brush and a new adapter, the difference is huge. The motor no longer
vibrates, the noise is gone, and it is all smooth and quiet.

I believe that 1/2 horsepower is fine for this fine bristle brush,
because the manual says do not press too much on it when brushing. If
I do not press too hard, then the motor keeps up with speed just
fine. This is a 50 year old Peerless motor that cost me just $2 (IIRC)
and if I can use it, I will be happy.

What I use this brush for, is I clean various gunky or slightly rusty
things.

From what I've seen in periodic browsings through the tool section in the
Menards near me, they seem to sell just about the cheapest tools on the
market and I try to limit my purchases there to stuff that isn't safety
critical or needed for more than a use or two.

Mike