Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Lubrication of an old motor

In article ,
Ignoramus11967 wrote:

On 2007-11-16, Randal O'Brian wrote:

"Ignoramus11967" wrote in message
news
Mentioned in the "update on wire brushing" post, I have a 1/2 HP,
110v, Peerless motor that looks maybe 50 years old. It works fine. It
has special ports for lubrication, with little doors that open upwards
and where you just drip some lubricant. They are not grease gun
fittings, they just open up and you can add oil.

My question is, what oil and how much.

Go to the hardware and get a can of 3in1 electric motor oil. It will have
pic of an electric motor on the label. Put about 5 drops in each port for
starts and repeat once a year.

Randal

Randal, thanks, I will buy just that.

If it's really 50 years old, I'd consider cleaning the old oil and gunk
out with kerosene first. WD-40 would work for that. But you do need
real motor oil.

Joe Gwinn