Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Lubrication of an old motor

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Nick Mueller wrote:
Ignoramus11967 wrote:

My question is, what oil and how much.

WD 40 and more than what fits into the oiler.

And don't forget:
When you want to fart, call your doctor and ask how to do it.

Nick

Nick is correct, for that specific motor, wd-40 is the best choice.

Are we serious here? WD-40 is a water-displacing rust protectant and
cleaning solvent. It is the LAST thing you want to put into a motor
bearing.

completely serious. wd-40 is what he should use in all his motors. You
don't want water in in the bearing areas, now do you?

I'm going to assume you're pulling our legs. However, the fact is that while
some of the ingredients of WD40 are secret, the ones that are known are
Stoddard solvent and mineral oil: paint thinner and baby oil, in other
words. Mineral oil has almost no lubricating properties that you'd consider
for use in a machine. All in all, it's a good product to kill a machine for
which you're looking for an excuse to trash.

--
Ed Huntress