Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11967 Ignoramus11967 is offline

Default Lubrication of an old motor

On 2007-11-16, Ed Huntress wrote:
Are we serious here? WD-40 is a water-displacing rust protectant and
cleaning solvent. It is the LAST thing you want to put into a motor
bearing.

20-weight non-detergent, as others have said, is the right stuff.

That would be the same as compressor oil, right?

I don't know. Look on the can of compressor oil and see. g

Because you use so little of it in a lifetime, it's worth getting some
20-weight machine oil for your motors, and it will come in handy for other
machinery lubricating jobs in a home shop. I'd tell you that the detergent
business doesn't matter in the case of total-loss bearings, like motor
bearings with oil caps but no cups or reservoir, but that would start an
argument here and you might forget sometime and put it in an old machine
with a reservoir, only to get crap into the wicks and choke off oil to
*those* bearings. d8-)

So spring for some of the right stuff. It's worth a couple of bucks.

OK, I just bought one for motors specifically (3-in-1). Thanks.

i;