Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Woodstove Steamers?

Nick,

Less than 0.2 ACH, ie 4 ACH at 50 Pa with a blower door test?
It takes 1000 Btu to evaporate a pound of water, and dry wood makes
about 10K Btu when burned

The stats are fine and dandy, but what matters to me is the real world
situation. When I burn wood in the woodstove, the air gets dry. Simple as
that.

Our house is sealed and insulated well with good windows. The woodstove is
fairly new and has good efficiency ratings. The ventilation system
noticeably improves the air quality in the house.

Given a choice between setting a pan of water on the woodstove, or updating
the house/woodstove/shutting off the ventilation system, I'll choose the
pan of water.

more house airsealing raise the house RH and REDUCE vs increase
the amount of wood or other fuel burning required.

Short of wrapping the house in a plastic bubble, I don't think there's much
more I could do to better seal the house. We built our own home, and I paid
extra attention to sealing gaps and whatnot during construction.

Anthony