Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default Garden Gates

"diy-newby" wrote in message ...
Hi

I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding what to do regarding gates.

Right, detached house with access to the rear via both sides of the house.
We were burgled the other week so we are looking to gate off the accesses.

Not sure whether to go timber gates or metal gates. Would prefer timber
for the privacy aspect, but would also like metal for the security.

Had a guy round last night to look and quoted the following (for metal
gates)

Right hand side path (approx 3 ft wide):-

Full height metal gate, dome top with spikes. Fully galvanised and
painted. Would have to build a frame which is bolted to the path to house
the gate as our neighbours wooden fence is not very secure (can be pushed
about 3 inch so the lock would be no good).

Left hand Side (approx 4.5 ft wide):-

Same style gate although no frame required. To fill the gap, a fence would
also be installed in iron to make up the difference between the gate and
the existing fence running down the left hand side boundary.

Both gates would have 5 lever locks installed.

All ironwork is galvanised and ready painted. Price I got quoted was £700
(this includes all the fitting).

Is this a good price?

I am sure a wooden gate / fence would be no more than £200, would give me
more privacy but not so sure about the security.

I know there is no way to stop any unwanted visits but as a deterrent what
do you think is best?
Much of the cost is labour both in manufacture and fitting

If you have concrete paths then bolting posts or fames to them is possible
whether in wood or metal
If paths are soft then post holes and concreted in posts are usually needed
adding to the labour costs

I have seen many wrought iron gates fitted where within a few months ply
panels have been added for privacy, so I would always go for wooden gates

The gates you describe sound rather commercial in appearance for a
residential property and although they would doubtless do the job may not
look right. And of course they would be completely useless if an intruder
could just gain access by going into your neighbours garden and hopping over
a fence elsewhere on you property

Tony