Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber Beachcomber is offline

Default How do I get those HDTV channels

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 04:48:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Forget the Comcasts and the other cable/satellite services unless you
like to pay... and...pay... and pay.
The most inexpensive way to get HDTV is over the air broadcast from
your local stations.

The only way your proposal is cheaper is if he gives up cable all
together, as HD is free on Cablevision. I easily spend 90% of my
viewing time watching cable channels, History, Discovery, FoodTV, A&E,
etc. instead of what you can get OTA. I couldn't even tell you the
basic prime time network schedule. And there is HD content on many
other cable channels as well and it is growing. So, I don;t see going
back to an antenna as a mainstream solution that a guy who already has
cable and a Sony Bravia is going to find acceptable.

Well... for many, going the antenna route will be the least expensive
way of enjoying HDTV. All the main networks ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and
PBS are currently providing free over-the-air HDTV for selected
programs.

Granted, Comcast and the other cable/satellite companies give you
movies, sports, and other programs which you won't otherwise get...
But you are also beholden to them with their outrageous rate
increases, poor customer service, outages and otherwise bad attitude
towards their customers. HDTV is costing them a bundle and they can't
wait to pass on the costs and then some. If I've offended anyone who
really loves their cable company, please pardon me...

Beachcomber