Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron Baron is offline

Default Avometer Model 8 repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
N Cook wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for
some corrosion in the battery compartment. Before I have a go at
stripping the compartment out and either cleaning or replacing
the
corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any sources
of replacement battery compartments ?

They are still available new (at a price) so I'd guess AVO will
supply spares.

Does anyone pay 800 GBP plus VAT for a new Avo 8 ?

I'd guess they must otherwise they wouldn't be listed. Perhaps only
for display purposes, though. I can't remember when last I used mine.
I have a smaller analogue unit I use on old stuff where the readings
call for a 10,000 ohms per volt one.

Dave AAAAARRRGGGGHHH !!! How can you own an AVO 8, and not use it in
preference to a 'little' one !!! Mine gets used every single day of my
working life ! I've had it since it was issued to me as an apprentice
35 years ago, and nothing would persuade me to part with it for
'general' fault finding measurements. My high quality digital only
comes out when I need to know exactly what a voltage or resistance is.
Without your AVO out on the bench, where do you put your screws ...?

Finest analogue meter ever made, barring none, but I do think that 800
quid is a bit OTT. You'd have to be really serious to part with that
sort of money, even for an '8. They are still readily available at
radio rallies for less than £70 most times.

Arfa

I agree ! My first Avo was a model 7 more than 40 years ago. Like Arfa
my Model 8 Mk2 is in daily use. I once watched a bloke cry after
accidently pushing his off the seat of a truck he was working on!

--
Best Regards:
Baron.