Posted to alt.home.repair
RF RF is offline

Default Kenmore Dryer: Heating Element is Perfect - but No Heat.

Smitty Two wrote:
In article om,
" wrote:

On Nov 11, 8:45 pm, BobK207 wrote:
3. THERMAL CUT-OFF (P/N 3398671) - open circuit !!!

Sounds like you've found the culprit! Did it looked "cooked"?

Thanks! I am pretty sure this is the part that needs replacement
although it doesn't look "cooked". I have verified with with of the
web sites that you provided that indeed the thermal cut-off part
should be normally conducting. It isn't, thus it is the culprit. I
will shortly order the part.

If possible, you could jumper the connections to that part (i.e., short
or bypass it) for a moment to test your theory before ordering the new
part.

Interesting that I have a similar problem just at this time.
A friend of mine bought a used Kenmore Elite model #110-63952102 dryer
that does not work properly, although she was told that it does. The
lint screen was missing. The on-switch works and drum turns until it
gets hot (and really smells hot and plasticky) then it shuts down. It
can be restarted once it has cooled down. I suspected that this might be
the drum thermostat and I talked with a Sears salesperson who knew very
little about it. He guessed several parts including thermostats.

When I looked at the list it was over $60 (almost $20 for a thermostat)
+ tax + shipping + handling, which I thought ridiculous. I looked up
the local yellow pages (I am in N. California) and could find nothing
promising. Next, I remembered a very competent appliance parts company
down in Seaside - near Monterey - that I dealt with years back. I
couldn't remember the name and I did a googlemap on it followed by a
search. It popped up quickly and I called them.

First, I was told that the missing lint screen could be responsible for
the problem, and it was not necessarily the thermostat.
He suggested that I rip it apart and remove all the lint, then try
running it again with a very light load. If it still overheated and
conked out, it was likely to be the thermostat. I won't be able to do
that until the weekend and will then report back.

I will give Sears credit for having great parts drawings with numbers
and parts lists. You just input the model number to start. Here is the
URL http://www3.sears.com/

I have not yet had prices from my Seaside contact but I'm prepared to
bet it will be much better than Sears.

If anyone wants to check it out, here is the info: Mack Stove Co
Appliance Parts Distributor Inc
705 Broadway Ave, Seaside, CA ---- DEREK --- (831) 899-7278.

I can assure everybody that I have no financial interest in this
company. I have found them to be extremely helpful and have very
reasonable prices. About 2 years ago I bought a thermostat for a
Whirlpool dryer for about $8 and a belt for a Whirlpool washer for about
$10.

I wish you success with your task.

RF