Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Avometer Model 8 repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I'd guess they must otherwise they wouldn't be listed. Perhaps only
for display purposes, though. I can't remember when last I used mine.
I have a smaller analogue unit I use on old stuff where the readings
call for a 10,000 ohms per volt one.

Dave AAAAARRRGGGGHHH !!! How can you own an AVO 8, and not use it in
preference to a 'little' one !!! Mine gets used every single day of my
working life ! I've had it since it was issued to me as an apprentice 35
years ago, and nothing would persuade me to part with it for 'general'
fault finding measurements. My high quality digital only comes out when
I need to know exactly what a voltage or resistance is. Without your
AVO out on the bench, where do you put your screws ...?

Heh heh. I have a mains digital LED bench meter firmly screwed to a shelf
above the workbench. Comes on with the bench supply. Does things like
autorange and peak hold which I find indispensable these days. Hardly ever
need an analogue one - and I'd not like to drop the AVO. ;-)

Finest analogue meter ever made, barring none, but I do think that 800
quid is a bit OTT. You'd have to be really serious to part with that
sort of money, even for an '8. They are still readily available at
radio rallies for less than £70 most times.

Yup. Mine cost a couple of week's wages in the '60s - complete with
leather case.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.