Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Avometer Model 8 repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
N Cook wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some
corrosion in the battery compartment. Before I have a go at
stripping the compartment out and either cleaning or replacing the
corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any sources of
replacement battery compartments ?

They are still available new (at a price) so I'd guess AVO will supply
spares.

Does anyone pay 800 GBP plus VAT for a new Avo 8 ?

I'd guess they must otherwise they wouldn't be listed. Perhaps only for
display purposes, though. I can't remember when last I used mine. I have a
smaller analogue unit I use on old stuff where the readings call for a
10,000 ohms per volt one.

Dave AAAAARRRGGGGHHH !!! How can you own an AVO 8, and not use it in
preference to a 'little' one !!! Mine gets used every single day of my
working life ! I've had it since it was issued to me as an apprentice 35
years ago, and nothing would persuade me to part with it for 'general' fault
finding measurements. My high quality digital only comes out when I need to
know exactly what a voltage or resistance is. Without your AVO out on the
bench, where do you put your screws ...?

Finest analogue meter ever made, barring none, but I do think that 800 quid
is a bit OTT. You'd have to be really serious to part with that sort of
money, even for an '8. They are still readily available at radio rallies for
less than £70 most times.

Arfa