Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Brent is offline

Default Knight chess-piece "plan"?

On Nov 14, 12:18 pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey All,

Anybody got a suggestion or sample/drawing/pix of a Knight chess-piece
that I can make by turning and minor milling? I don't want a "3-D
horse head impression" or casting, or even a "real-looking" (a la
Staunton), but something I can make with MY shop tools. I think I'm OK
on the other 5 pieces, but can't figure out how to "create" a
definitive knight.

So far, my best thought is to turn a 90 cone in the end of the
upright, mill through it to leave enough material to create two
"ears", poke a hole on a downward angle thru the upright just below
the "ears", jam in a shortish piece of round with the lower end of
that rounded off to make the "mouth" and the upper end on the opposite
side of the upright cut at angle and knurled to look like a stylized
"mane".

Plan is to make 1/2 the set from brass, and the opposition from soft
stainless, or maybe hard aluminum. Probably the latter, since I have
lots of that.

I've looked on the web for some made from common hardware like nuts &
bolts, but never saw anything that appealed to me. But I'm open to
all suggestions.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

cross posted to: modeleng-list

I've been doing this via trial and error using semi scrap 3/4" Brass.
and just like you I'm producing it with a lathe or hand tools. (when
i'm not building my shop

so far the best i've come up with is to start with a bar and cut in at
approx 30 degrees this will form the top of the peice. like a horse
head pointing slightly downwards a little further down on the low side
of the peice i cut a groovethat will eventually become the horses neck
the part jutting out becomes a stylized nose.

from there i take the top of the peice and using an endmill mill down
the "sides of the peice at 90 degrees to the earlier cutsthis reduces
the beice form circular and brings out the head form.

I havent made a pretty one yet using this method but its a work in
progress i whittle away at. I took my rough ones in to a few people
and asked them what chess peoce this looked like and was pleased to
hear that the answers were all "Knight" or "Horse" or "i have no idea
i dont play chess"

i dont know how clear my explanation is or if that helps but i'm
looking at it the same was as you. if i can make a knight i can make a
chess set since ALL the others have an axis of rotatio to them