Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Knight chess-piece "plan"?

Hey All,

Anybody got a suggestion or sample/drawing/pix of a Knight chess-piece
that I can make by turning and minor milling? I don't want a "3-D
horse head impression" or casting, or even a "real-looking" (a la
Staunton), but something I can make with MY shop tools. I think I'm OK
on the other 5 pieces, but can't figure out how to "create" a
definitive knight.

So far, my best thought is to turn a 90 cone in the end of the
upright, mill through it to leave enough material to create two
"ears", poke a hole on a downward angle thru the upright just below
the "ears", jam in a shortish piece of round with the lower end of
that rounded off to make the "mouth" and the upper end on the opposite
side of the upright cut at angle and knurled to look like a stylized
"mane".

Plan is to make 1/2 the set from brass, and the opposition from soft
stainless, or maybe hard aluminum. Probably the latter, since I have
lots of that.

I've looked on the web for some made from common hardware like nuts &
bolts, but never saw anything that appealed to me. But I'm open to
all suggestions.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

cross posted to: modeleng-list
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:18:29 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

[...]

How about threading the top of your common base, clip one
ear off a wing-nut in a size you like and then thread it on
top of the base upside down (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

=========
Send me a good email and I will send plan in pdf format with a
generic cnc lathe program. Let me know if you want the other
pieces also.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey All,

Anybody got a suggestion or sample/drawing/pix of a Knight chess-piece
that I can make by turning and minor milling? I don't want a "3-D
horse head impression" or casting, or even a "real-looking" (a la
Staunton), but something I can make with MY shop tools. I think I'm OK
on the other 5 pieces, but can't figure out how to "create" a
definitive knight.

When I think of knights, I think of the only piece that is not round in
section, could you turn it to the profile of the silhouette of the face
of the horse, then slab off the two sides with a band saw, trim away the
back for the mane, and you might be there...

Or you could cut it out of a piece of flatstock of appropriate
thickness, and solder/weld it to a turned base that matches the other
capital pieces. Make them last and use the nicest two bases in your
oops pile...

Stuart
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian -

I sent you an e-mail - easy to do - let me know.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Brian Lawson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Leon,

I though of something very similar, but at the moment I'm leaning
towards a "turned" set, rather than a nuts&bolts style.

My thought was to use one "wing" up of a pressed metal style so it
would look like ears, and one of cast style down.

Take care. Thanks again.

Brian Lawson.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey George,

is a good e-dress. Love to have it, including the cutter path
program.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Stuart,

Great suggestion, similar to Tony Finns's but simpler. As I have
since written, I'm happy for ALL these suggestions, but I'm think I'm
leaning towards an all turned set. Still, these are some good
machining tips showing up here!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:12:02 -0500, Stuart Wheaton
wrote:

Brian Lawson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Sam,

Now, I really like that one!! Simple, pleasing, and doable for me.
Makes the Top 10 so far.

Thank you.

Take care,

Brian Lawson.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:34:47 -0500, "Sam Soltan"
samsoltan_48323atyahoodotcom wrote:

try these!
.. .

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 12:18 pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
[...]

I've been doing this via trial and error using semi scrap 3/4" Brass.
and just like you I'm producing it with a lathe or hand tools. (when
i'm not building my shop

so far the best i've come up with is to start with a bar and cut in at
approx 30 degrees this will form the top of the peice. like a horse
head pointing slightly downwards a little further down on the low side
of the peice i cut a groovethat will eventually become the horses neck
the part jutting out becomes a stylized nose.

from there i take the top of the peice and using an endmill mill down
the "sides of the peice at 90 degrees to the earlier cutsthis reduces
the beice form circular and brings out the head form.

I havent made a pretty one yet using this method but its a work in
progress i whittle away at. I took my rough ones in to a few people
and asked them what chess peoce this looked like and was pleased to
hear that the answers were all "Knight" or "Horse" or "i have no idea
i dont play chess"

i dont know how clear my explanation is or if that helps but i'm
looking at it the same was as you. if i can make a knight i can make a
chess set since ALL the others have an axis of rotatio to them

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Brent,

I think I follow you OK. Pretty much like what I was planning on
doing, and along the lines of what Sam Soltan sent. Did you see that
set?

Thanks for the hints too. Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:33:45 -0800 (PST), Brent
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I didnt see the Sam Soltant note (Didnt make it to google) but its
always great to see other peoples ideas on it too.

In my case because i have the brass in about 18" lengths that Lee
valley sells surplus I'm going to do both sets in it then do a patina
or some type of process to make the "Black" side

and plus brass is a nice student metal for someon whose not great on a
lathe. I'll mess up the peice long before i hurt the lathe

Brent
Ottawa Ontario
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

the usual way to do this (on a wood lathe) is to imagine the surface made by
rotating the horse head - you create that shape (which looks kinda like a
weird torus) and then slice through it to get two heads, which you affix to
a traditionally turned base.

"Brent" wrote in message
On Nov 14, 12:18 pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey All,

Anybody got a suggestion or sample/drawing/pix of a Knight chess-piece
that I can make by turning and minor milling? I don't want a "3-D
horse head impression" or casting, or even a "real-looking" (a la
Staunton), but something I can make with MY shop tools. I think I'm OK
on the other 5 pieces, but can't figure out how to "create" a
definitive knight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:59:40 +1100, you wrote:

I made a set a long time ago (30+ yrs) from wood, with the knights done with
no actual carving......a base turned same as the other major opiece bases,
the top half all simple curved profiles and sawn-off angular planes,
excepting only the valley between the ears.........which I could imagine
being milled with a flycutter at the appropriate angles. Oh, yes, and a peg
on the body fitted a socket in the base. The overall effect was of a
stylized-staunton type knight, but no concave surfaces IIRC. I dont see why
it couldnt be done in metal..........again IIRC I mostly used a bandsaw on
the knight.

Received many favourable comments on the set, so I could dig out and sned
you a photo of the knight if you are inteested.

Michael Belfer

Hey Michael,

Thank you for doing so. Looks good!!

Brian Lawson.