Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Wheaton Stuart Wheaton is offline

Default Knight chess-piece "plan"?

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey All,

Anybody got a suggestion or sample/drawing/pix of a Knight chess-piece
that I can make by turning and minor milling? I don't want a "3-D
horse head impression" or casting, or even a "real-looking" (a la
Staunton), but something I can make with MY shop tools. I think I'm OK
on the other 5 pieces, but can't figure out how to "create" a
definitive knight.

When I think of knights, I think of the only piece that is not round in
section, could you turn it to the profile of the silhouette of the face
of the horse, then slab off the two sides with a band saw, trim away the
back for the mane, and you might be there...

Or you could cut it out of a piece of flatstock of appropriate
thickness, and solder/weld it to a turned base that matches the other
capital pieces. Make them last and use the nicest two bases in your
oops pile...

Stuart