Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I get those HDTV channels

On Nov 14, 12:38 pm, "Paul" wrote:
I have Cablevision (New York, Westchester County) and my SOny Bravia
TV can get HDTV channels. However they seem to be in the 84.XXXX and
110.XXX ranges. I also get NON HDTV channels at the usual chanels
2,3,4 etc. up to about 74.

What confuses me is that say I want to watch House on HD. I do not tue
to channel 5 (FOX) but some other channel. In cablevision world it is
channel 705. But on my Bravia it is like 98.XXX or something. Finding
the HD TV channels is like a real challenge.

Am I missing something here, or is it always this difficult with HD
tv ....

Best, Mike.

Yes, it is that difficult when you're trying to receive "QAM" digital cable
channels without using the cable company box. What's more infuriating is
the cable companies move those channels around on their internal frequencies
quite frequently, so at some time in the future you'll have to have your
re-scan to memorize them again.

If your TV has a CableCard slot, you could get a CableCard from the cable
company and you would see "normal" channel numbering and not have to worry
about where the cable company moved a channel to on their system. i.e., Fox
would always be "705", it wouldn't be 98-1 this week and change to 105-7 or
some other crazy number 6 months from now.

Check outwww.avsforum.comand look for your local New York HDTV discussion
thread. You'll find LOTS of good info and advice there.

-- Paul

Yes, the essence of the OP's problem is that he's trying to receive a
digital cable signal without the cable box, cable card, etc. which
would have the necessary QAM tuner. Some newer TVs have a QAM
tuner built-in, but most do not.