Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Woodstove Steamers?

On Nov 14, 6:31 am, HerHusband wrote:
We have a small woodstove (Lopi Patriot model) and as anyone who uses a
woodstove knows, the air gets very dry when we use it. Dry eyes, dry noses,
and static electricity. So, I'd like to buy a steamer to set on the stove
to add moisture back into the air.

Unfortunately, all of the steamers and kettles I have seen are rather large
and wouldn't fit on the top of our small woodstove very nicely.

So, I'm curious if anyone knows where I could find a SMALL steamer (to fit
on a 6" ledge), or what other options I might have for setting on the
stove. I don't have a lot of money right now, so I'd prefer something under
$50. It should also be black to match the stove, it shouldn't rust or leave
marks on the stove, and it shouldn't be damaged if it runs out of water.

I'm currently using a glass pyrex dish which has helped with the air
situation, but doesn't look very attractive. I'm also worried about it
cracking when I need to add more water, and don't know what would happen if
it ran dry.

Thanks,

Anthony

We use a common aluminum large kettle - not attactive but practical.
The 6" limitation really cuts down on options - can't see a very large
capacity anything fitting that. Just have to keep on top of filling
whatever you use. We originally tryed using a whistling teakettle -
that lasted only a few days due to the annoyance factor and it
wouldn't hold enough water.

Drawback of pots/pans/bowls/trays whatever for that is the minerals in
the water. The water evaporates and leaves them behind encrusting the
container. Thus a clear container will soon look very ugly unless
cleaned regulary and that stuff doesn't come off easily. Our kettle
has been in operation for over 20 years and has a constant thin layer
of minerals - as it thickens it tends to flake off. My BIL in Canada
had so much sulphur in his water that his kettle would build a _thick_
layer in one season.

Harry K