Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Wiring new 220v circuits into fuse box - links?

According to :
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 02:34:42 -0500, "StarMan"
wrote:

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news

If you ask a specific question, you'll get plenty of quality answers right
here

At this point I'd really just like to see a diagram of how a 220v is wired
into a breaker box. I understand it conceptually but I want to understand
thoroughly so I don't have any problems.

I may have more specific questions once I see the diagram :-)

As a general rule, every other slot is on opposite phases so when you
plug in a 2 pole breakers you get 240v. Just don't confuse a 2 pole
breaker with a piggy back breaker that only takes one full slot and
gives 2 120v circuits.

There are a few panels out there (old GEs for example) that have a
strange bus wiring but these are fairly rare..

Right - some FPE panels too. Aside from those oddballs, a double
breaker will work no matter which pair of slots you jam it in.

If in doubt, install the breaker, and use a voltage tester
across the terminal screws on each breaker. If it's zero volts, it's
the kind of panel where it does matter, and you have the breaker
installed wrong. If you see 240V, either it doesn't matter, it
does, and you were lucky the first time.

He's asking for more than that. He also has to identify whether it's
a pure 240 circuit or a 240/120V circuit.

If it's a pure 240V circuit, he'll be using /2 wire (two insulated
conductors and a ground, often black, white and bare, tho, red black
and bare is available and somewhat preferrable). Each of the
insulated conductors goes to one half of the double breaker, and the
bare (ground) connects to the ground bar.

If it's a 240V/120V circuit (stove, dryer, split duplex receptacle
string), he'll be using /3 wire. Red to one breaker. Black to the
other. White to the neutral bar, and bare to the ground bar.

Leave extra slack in the wires. Use the clamps properly (you
will probably have to use a new clamp in a new hold - doubling
up is somewhat frowned upon)

Caution: I briefly tried googling for a simple diagram, but the only one
I found, on a self-proclaimed "do it yourself" site, had it wrong.
[Weren't properly segregating the ground/neutral wires.]

Sheesh.
--
Chris Lewis,