Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Wiring new 220v circuits into fuse box - links?

According to StarMan :

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

If you want to do this and stay code-legal, best to consult
with a local inspector or an electrician. Regardless of whether
you want to keep this code-legal, the fact that you're asking
this question at all, suggests you should engage the aid of
an electrician.

That's not always the case. Sometimes one just needs a reference to make
sure one is SURE to be doing it RIGHT.

Asking a question isn't the same as "don't have a clue". LOL

Agreed, that's not always the case. I often ask here about things I
understand, and just want to find out a preferred method or specific
suggestions about something a bit unusual.

For example, I'm replumbing our bathroom - moving all the fixtures
and adding one, and the system has some restrictions. I have a good
book on plumbing, and have done lots of smaller plumbing jobs before.
But there's a few places where I might ask for a hint/suggestion
on situations that don't quite line up with the book.

Eg: in one situation regarding venting. Strict code compliance/
inspector might require upsizing (or adding) a vent from the basement
to the roof of a 2 story house. I'm only one foot (horizontal
drain length) and one vent "fixture unit" (FU ;-) short of not
needing additional venting at all by the code table.

Part of the drain is larger than the code table, and hence the
table is being too pessimistic. The fixture is much lower flow
than normal, so I'm not really one FU short either. There's
already considerable margin in the code requirements.

Installing a vent would severely impact the size of the whole
project (it already includes re-drywalling half of the bathroom,
installing a pocket door in a new wall, and installing a shower
stall.) and I don't think it's necessary.

Will it work? Dunno yet. I think so. But I've not asked the question
in enough detail yet.

However, asking a question in such way that indicates that the person
doesn't understand that aspect of wiring at _all_ does imply that
perhaps they should stay away from it. Or, get a good book on the
subject and read/understand it first.

I'm pretty judicious as to when to make those suggestions.
This seemed a good candidate.
--
Chris Lewis,