Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Wilton vise "Lifetime Warranty"....what it really means.

On 14 Nov 2007 09:11:59 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Joe
Pfeiffer quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques writes:

That's as bad or worse than Crapsman tool warranties, where you have
to nearly cap the manager to get him to exchange a clearly marked
Craftsman tool which bit the dust twice in three days.

Interesting -- I've never had any problem getting a replacement from
Sears, including on tools that I'd basically abused to death (a socket
that had been used with a hammer to drive a friction-fit part into
place comes to mind).

My memories of this are from the mid/late 70s and early 80s, when they
had first gone with the trash vendors. I was in the store getting
replacement sockets, ratchets, and such 3 or 4 times a week, usually
with bandaged hands. Once I had to go to the store manager to get
replacements, but usually the threat to go to him did it. HE got an
earful that once, lemme tell ya. I don't recall having bought a searz
tool since.

Not too many years after that, they were indicted for their parts
replacement scams in the auto section, telling customers they needed
parts that they didn't need. It cost 'em plenty. I'm surprised they're
still in business. Their name is sure **** to me.

Given Wilton's ghastly pricing, their stuff should be built heavily
enough to never need to be warrantied. Shame on them for a fake
lifetime warranty.

--
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh