Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Smooth caulk joints

StarMan wrote:

Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice edges when
needed, when you smooth the joint.

Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape? As I
recall, I've seen pros not using tape and the joints looked great. However
this was long ago and I don't recall exactly how they smoothed it out.

Is tape the ONLY way to get a smooth edge without years of practice? ;-)

It's the only way I can do it right. Cut the caulk tube tip to be the
width you want, which is same width as taped-off strip. Push the tube
as you apply caulk. Spit is the only acceptable lubricant .. wipe you
finger with a clean rag, spit and smoothe the caulk (if needed) so's
it's like a cove molding. Caulk should have a flat edge so it doesn't
trap water and get moldy. Take tape off right away. Have the area
immaculately clean, clean again with denatured alcohol, then wipe with
full-strength bleach before caulking.

If you do without tape, and get a little bead running along the caulk
bead, you can let it cure and then trim with straight-edge and razor
blade. Peel off .