Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smooth caulk joints

Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice edges when
needed, when you smooth the joint.

Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape? As I
recall, I've seen pros not using tape and the joints looked great. However
this was long ago and I don't recall exactly how they smoothed it out.

Is tape the ONLY way to get a smooth edge without years of practice? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 11:33 pm, "StarMan" wrote:
Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice edges when
needed, when you smooth the joint.

Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape? As I
recall, I've seen pros not using tape and the joints looked great. However
this was long ago and I don't recall exactly how they smoothed it out.

Is tape the ONLY way to get a smooth edge without years of practice? ;-)

Yes, use the tape. I've caulked for a long time and still find taping
the best way to do it. An advantage here is with the tape, you can
really press the caulk into the joint and make a great seal.
I think those guys on TV use trick caulk for the cameras (just
kidding, I'm just jealous).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 11:33 pm, "StarMan" wrote:
Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice edges when
needed, when you smooth the joint.

Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape? As I
recall, I've seen pros not using tape and the joints looked great. However
this was long ago and I don't recall exactly how they smoothed it out.

Is tape the ONLY way to get a smooth edge without years of practice? ;-)

Narrow beads and a finger dipped in a bowl of water has always worked
for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 12:15 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Narrow beads and a finger dipped in a bowl of water has always worked
for me.

Good advice for latex caulks, using the "finger dipped in the bowl of
water".

For silicone caulk, use for your finger dipping, mineral oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 11:26 pm, spammer wrote:
On Nov 14, 12:15 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Narrow beads and a finger dipped in a bowl of water has always worked
for me.

Good advice for latex caulks, using the "finger dipped in the bowl of
water".

For silicone caulk, use for your finger dipping, mineral oil.

I like to add a little dish soap to the water for latex.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

StarMan wrote:

Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice edges when
needed, when you smooth the joint.

Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape? As I
recall, I've seen pros not using tape and the joints looked great. However
this was long ago and I don't recall exactly how they smoothed it out.

Is tape the ONLY way to get a smooth edge without years of practice? ;-)

It's the only way I can do it right. Cut the caulk tube tip to be the
width you want, which is same width as taped-off strip. Push the tube
as you apply caulk. Spit is the only acceptable lubricant .. wipe you
finger with a clean rag, spit and smoothe the caulk (if needed) so's
it's like a cove molding. Caulk should have a flat edge so it doesn't
trap water and get moldy. Take tape off right away. Have the area
immaculately clean, clean again with denatured alcohol, then wipe with
full-strength bleach before caulking.

If you do without tape, and get a little bead running along the caulk
bead, you can let it cure and then trim with straight-edge and razor
blade. Peel off .
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
StarMan wrote:

[...]

I use a tool that I bought at HD. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

spammer wrote:

For silicone caulk, use for your finger dipping, mineral oil.

Would have been nice to have known that a long time ago.

If after you caulk you spray the surfaces each side of the bead with 409
the silicon won't stick when you smooth the bead. Major surprise when I
saw someone do that.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bud--" wrote in message
spammer wrote:

For silicone caulk, use for your finger dipping, mineral oil.

Would have been nice to have known that a long time ago.

If after you caulk you spray the surfaces each side of the bead with 409
the silicon won't stick when you smooth the bead. Major surprise when I
saw someone do that.

--
bud--

I use the little tool that I bought from HD. Works like a charm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 12:51 pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:

I use the little tool that I bought from HD. Works like a charm.

I have used a disposable tool called the DAP Caulk Smoother. It is a
piece of foam on a plastic stick. Works great, and if you need to re-
use it twice in a caulking session, dip it in some alcohol.

Most of the hard plastic tools get gunked up too quickly with silicone
caulk. You need too many, and you have to clean them afterwards.
Throwaway tools are more practical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"StarMan" wrote in message
Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice edges when
needed, when you smooth the joint.

Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape? As I
recall, I've seen pros not using tape and the joints looked great.
However
this was long ago and I don't recall exactly how they smoothed it out.

Is tape the ONLY way to get a smooth edge without years of practice? ;-)

I have a handy tool to make a good caulk joint, I recently did kitchen
counter tops against a tiled wall.

http://www.jasco-help.com/products/k...ath/index.html

I can't remember where I got it. HD and Ace do not carry it where I
currently live.
I have no association with the company.

I generally do not recommend products on line, but this one produced a joint
that even impressed my wife.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice edges
when needed, when you smooth the joint.
Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape?

If you use caulk labeled "water cleanup" (usually latex), you can achieve
perfect results every time using a bucket of water and a sponge.

Apply the caulk as you normally would, then use your finger to push it into
the joint and wipe off the majority of the excess (Keep paper towels handy
to wipe the caulk off your fingers). Get the sponge wet in a bucket of
water and squeeze out the excess. Then wipe the caulking joint with your
damp sponge. Rinse the caulking off the sponge in the bucket of water, and
continue wiping down the joints as needed. You can go over the joints with
the sponge as many times as you need (before it starts setting up), just
rinse it out between passes. If you remove too much, just apply more caulk
and repeat. You can do most jobs with a single bucket of water, but if the
water gets too dirty you may want to dump it and refill, or grab a second
bucket.

Essentially you're putting caulk in the joint, then cleaning away
everything except what is in the actual joint. It's very easy to do, and
produces professional looking joints every time.

It also works great for filling holes and cracks in trim and whatnot. Just
dab some caulk in, wipe off the excess with your finger, and clean away the
extra with the damp sponge.

Unfortunately, it probably won't work with silicone caulks unless they
specifically indicate water cleanup.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I have a handy tool to make a good caulk joint, I recently did kitchen
counter tops against a tiled wall.

http://www.jasco-help.com/products/k...ath/index.html

I can't remember where I got it. HD and Ace do not carry it where I
currently live.
I have no association with the company.

I generally do not recommend products on line, but this one produced a joint
that even impressed my wife.

Charlie

I tried those a couple of times - made a horrible mess )

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

I have a handy tool to make a good caulk joint, I recently did kitchen
counter tops against a tiled wall.

http://www.jasco-help.com/products/k...ath/index.html

I can't remember where I got it. HD and Ace do not carry it where I
currently live.
I have no association with the company.

I generally do not recommend products on line, but this one produced a
joint that even impressed my wife.

Charlie

I tried those a couple of times - made a horrible mess )

I was a first time user and had no problem at all. There was a little
instruction sheet with it. I did what it said.
Did you follow the directions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Bress wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message

clipped

I have a handy tool to make a good caulk joint, I recently did kitchen
counter tops against a tiled wall.

http://www.jasco-help.com/products/k...ath/index.html

I can't remember where I got it. HD and Ace do not carry it where I
currently live.
I have no association with the company.

I generally do not recommend products on line, but this one produced a
joint that even impressed my wife.

Charlie

I tried those a couple of times - made a horrible mess )

I was a first time user and had no problem at all. There was a little
instruction sheet with it. I did what it said.
Did you follow the directions?

Always ) It was an awkward tool for me. The best trick is to cut the
tip to the right size, push the tube to apply. Even if a little oozes
past the line, it can be trimmed when it cures if the caulk is applied
at the right angle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice edges
when needed, when you smooth the joint.
Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape?

If you use caulk labeled "water cleanup" (usually latex), you can achieve
perfect results every time using a bucket of water and a sponge.

Good idea for bathtubs, bad idea when caulking baseboards over hardwood
floors or between windows and wood sills :-)

I find I can get good results if I constantly wipe the joint after using my
finger (and constantly wiping the finger), but it is a big headache. I am
going to try the "wet finger" idea tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Looking online, I see many tips about using TAPE to create nice
edges when needed, when you smooth the joint.
Are there any techniques for making an accurate line without tape?

If you use caulk labeled "water cleanup" (usually latex), you can
achieve perfect results every time using a bucket of water and a
sponge.

Good idea for bathtubs, bad idea when caulking baseboards over
hardwood floors or between windows and wood sills :-)

I've used the sponge technique in many situations and it works well. You
wring out most of the water in the sponge, so there's very little risk of
water damage or anything like that.

It works great when caulking against a painted wall too, like you might do
around a vanity top, or where trim meets a wall. I've used it when patching
a seam in a floor too. It's nice because it doesn't leave any caulk residue
on the wall, it only fills the crack.

However, WHY would you caulk against a hardwood floor anyway?

Anthony