Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" writes:

Yes it is. When I moved in this apartment I found an outlet that had a
jumper wire from the neutral terminal to the ground terminal to make it look
like it was grounded to one of those little testers with the three lights.
The problem was that the circuit was also reverse polarity so the ground
slot was "hot".

Wow. Talk about making a bad situation worse...

A place I used to live in had a once-unfinished basement turned into a
somewhat-finished one, obviously by one of the previous owners. About
half of the outlets had hot and neutral reversed, so the people who did
the work apparently didn't know what the silver and brass screws on the
outlets were trying to tell them. But at least they got the grounds
right.

Dave