Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Weller WHS

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

Well, if the pencil pushers mandated all that fuss, I'm sorry for you. I
don't give a rat's ass about those things, though, just as long as they
solder well and reliably, which they do, much better than the Wellers.

Sigh.

I don't tell my assemblers what temperature to use or which tip to use or
which diameter solder to use for a particular job. The only thing I care
about is keeping the lead-free jobs separate.

We were building high end telemetry equipment which demanded high
standards, not cheap consumer ****. A failed piece of equipment could
cost a lot of lives, or require a round trip from space to the factory
along with finding room as payload for a return to orbit. Also, would
YOU like to be downrange if one of our missile 'command destruct
receivers' failed to destroy an out of control missile?

We don't build much consumer stuff, either. If we did, we wouldn't still
be using lead solder, would we?

I suppose some guy with a corkscrew in his ass will be along sooner or
later and ask for temperature calibration records, but I can tell you
that that has *nothing,* and I mean not one god damn thing, to do with
the quality of our assemblies. People who *know* how to solder don't
need someone else telling them whether the iron is too hot or too cold.
They know, because they know, simple as that.