Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default older vets will remember this metal

"William Bagwell" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:04:57 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Memories of my six years in the Utah National Guard. My enlistment
expired
in '62. As I recall, they are relatively simple devices, gasoline being
the
fuel.

Surely, those immersion heaters must go back at least to WW II, eh?

Probably not, and certainly not wildly available mid war. My father was
badly burned in a laundry accident during the war and spent months on a
hospital ship. Perhaps this helped inspire there invention?
--
William

Interesting. I had simply assumed they were quite old, considering the vast
majority of the equipment we had while I was in the guard was WW II era
stuff. Even our trusty old jeeps. The CO had a more modern version,
however.

I was a member of the 625th MP Co. ----our sidearm was the 45 ACP ---and
judging from their dreadful condition, likely from WW I. :-)

I'll never forget the reaming I got when we were at the firing line, for
qualification, and told to squeeze off one round. Mine managed two, but
only one pull of the trigger. I had to do a serious amount of
explaining-----"honest, Sir, I really pulled it only once". Full auto,
but on its own terms.

I sure as hell don't miss those days.

Harold