Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default older vets will remember this metal

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I dunno... I'm just a sucker for things that work, and try to find
"legitimate uses" for things that are just neat to have; so....

I stumbled across a VN-era gasoline "trashcan" immersion water heater in
NOS packaging for about $50 including shipping. Had to have it.

It arrived last night -- 50lb of iron, partly Parkerized, smeared with
cosmoline, and with the full step-chart tech manual inside.

It took me about a half-hour to refamiliarize myself with it and get it
assembled. Then it took another half-hour to bring a 32-gallon trash can
full of 50 degree water to a full rolling boil.

Just the thing for hurricane season power outages, for washing dishes and
bodies.

LLoyd

That the one with two stacks coming out of a squared section donut?

Ever leave one dripping for the poor bugger that had to go and light them?

Ever stuffed a roll of moon floss into the stack?

Evil fun!

If this one is at all like the ones I was around, I always figured
them for a bit large. I considered building a smaller one, to heat 5 or
10 gallos for hot showers in the hunt camp, and the like, but
technology, in the form of an electric pumping, propane fired shower
heater takes the real need away.

Good score, at $50. Dunno if a good scrounge could build a decent
working one for that, all said and done.

Cheers
Trevor Jones