Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Connecting a dishwasher to washing machine plumbing

On Nov 13, 7:16 pm, "DonC" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 13, 11:40 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Deano wrote:
Would anyone have suggestions how to connect a dishwasher to the
washing machine hot water feed and disposal line? I know it's an
unusual way of doing things but I don't have much of a choice...thanks
to a big old return vent that is next to the sink. Any help will be
appreciated...the plumbing supply guy just looked at me funny when I
asked about it.

Deano in Cincinnati

Something to think about: Dishwashers normally discharge into the garbage
disposal so that chunks can get grinded up. If you plan on discharging
directly into the drain, be sure to de-chunk your dishes first.

OK, that's a new one to me...

How's the disposer going to grind the chunks unless it's running
during the drain cycle? And if the disposer fills up with chunks, its
not going to drain.

What about houses that do not have disposers? I don't recall seeing
anything in any instructions I've read regarding rinsing dishes more
throughally if you don't have a disposer.

My dishwasher has its own impeller to take care of the soft stuff. The
instructions specifically say not to waste water by rinsing off soft
food prior to washing.

Are you sure about that "so that chunks can get grinded up" comment?

You are probably correct. Most (if not all) dishwashers come with a built
in grinder for what would be expected to be discharged from a dishwasher. I
don't ever recall having to run a disposal to grind the output of a
dishwasher. In other words, there won't be any "chunks" to be ground up.

Here in WI, it is against code to discharge the dishwasher into the
disposal. I don't know what the logic is behind it, but it is one
code that I don't follow. The biggest benefit, as I see it, is that
that you regularly have hot sudsy water going through the disposal,
which generally keeps it from getting stinky.

JK