Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Lets all buy from Sears

on 11/13/2007 7:05 PM RF said the following:
SMS 斯蒂文 夏 wrote:
Lou wrote:
Sears lost my business 7 years ago when they sent gang members to my
house to deliver appliances. I haven't been back since.

Yeah, they outsourced the delivery and they outsourced the service,
and it got much worse. Never let them deliver anything. Hopefully you
won't need warranty service.

Still, they very often have the best price, by far, on appliances,
and have a much larger selection that places like Home Depot,
Lowes's, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, or Costco. Costco has the
benefit of a 2 year standard warranty, but their selection is very
limited.

I need to buy a range and microwave/hood for a rental unit. I was in
Sears today, and I did my usual "reluctant to buy today routine,"
which almost always results in a fairly substantial price cut. In
this case the oven came down from $450 ($500 sale price - 10% mail in
rebate) to $382 with no rebate needed. This was the "associate
friends and family discount") which was 20% then another 10%, for 28%
off the non-sale price of $530.

I actually would have paid the higher price, as no other oven from
any manufacturer had the features I wanted for the rental, which was
coil burners (no ceramic top) but self-cleaning including the oven
racks, and a hidden oven element (the last two features are rather
rare on sub-$1000 ranges), though common on more expensive ceramic
cooktop ranges.

Similarly, the microwave/hood I wanted was not available anywhere
else. I needed a relatively high CFM 30" hood/microwave (400 cfm)
which is not all that common for less than $500, but with the 28%
discount, there is new Kenmore model that is around $250. If you have
tenants that do a lot of Asian stir-fry type cooking, you need a high
cfm exhaust. Even 400 cfm isn't terrific, but a lot of the
microwave/hoods are 300 cfm or less.

I bought a Kenmore microwave oven about 9 months ago and it went belly up
last week.

Prior to buying it I had a GE microwave and it lasted 26 years without
any repairs.
No more Kenmores for me, thank you.

RF

Before buying a new microwave, find out who made the Kenmore, so you
don't go out and buy the same brand somewhere else.
http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY