Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Two adjacent ceiling lights. Need two ceiling boxes?

In article . com, fourrings wrote:
Trad... The light fixture is not too heavy so, while not ideal, I'd
probably get away supporting it by drywall alone.

Doug... I've looked at the different boxes at Lowes and the only one I
can see working for my application is the one w/ three ears that open
up on the other side of the ceiling and act as a vise to clamp the
drywall. Would that be per code?

Yes, absolutely -- that's exactly what those boxes are made for.

Are there any better solutions for
pre-existing ceiling installs?

Not really -- that's quite good enough.

I'm limited on my options as I will
have a specific place where the box will have to mount and I might not
be lucky enough to get a stud there. Here's a link to a similar light
I'm installing. I plan to have two of these in one row.

http://www.lumens.com/lumens/assets/...LPMNGELODH.jpg

You should be fine. Drywall is capable of supporting a lot more weight than
many people think.

--
Regards,