Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default older vets will remember this metal

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:19:35 -0700, Northe wrote:

Lloyd,

I stumbled across a VN-era gasoline "trashcan" immersion water heater in
NOS packaging for about $50 including shipping. Had to have it.

It took me about a half-hour to refamiliarize myself with it and get it
assembled. Then it took another half-hour to bring a 32-gallon trash can
full of 50 degree water to a full rolling boil.

Yeah, but now you need to get two mo wash, rinse and rinse, as I recall.

Northe

One rinse would suffice if they'd used Dawn or Joy rather than that
yellow bar soap. It was good for poison ivy, though.

Heater,immersion, M-67,liquid-fuel fired, for corrugated cans.
The heat output of those heaters is impressive: to heat 32 gallons of
water from 50F to boiling in 30 minutes takes about 86,000 BTU/hr or
about 25 kilowatts. Burning gasoline produces about 124,000
BTU/gallon, though some of that goes up the little stack.