Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Chip C Chip C is offline

Default 15 vs 20 amp circuits

On Sep 25, 7:39 am, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to clarence at snyder dot on dot ca:

Not "hinkey" Required by code in kitchen countertop applications in
Canada. The breakoff tabs are there for that purpose. You remove them.

As mentioned elsewhere, recent code in Canada now gives you
a choice: split outlets or US-style 20A counter outlets. Thing
is that they now must be GFCI, and with splits it's real expensive
(requires a double GFCI breaker), so I imagine most new homes are
going US-style with GFCI.

Also, to be anally correct, the breakoff tabs are not just for
split (multiwire) outlets, but for switched/unswitched halves.
--
Chris Lewis,

My understanding is that Canada requires GFCI protection only within
1m of a sink, and that all other kitchen outlets can be non-GFCI,
either the traditional splits (in 15 or 20A) or 20A t-slot non-
splits...that's based on the latest P.S.Knight book. Am I reading that
wrong?

Chip C
Toronto