Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,alt.home.repair
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Beer bottles (again)

DonC wrote:

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
22 fl oz bottles cost me 95 cents a piece (case price).
12 fl oz bottles cost me 55 cents a piece (case price).

To me that means buy a 6-pack of 12 oz bottles and figure
you're paying $3.10 for the bottles. Makes it easier to
sell to my childbride.

Yes it is rather simple to take labels off of bottles.
At least most of them. Unfortunately some breweries,
e.g., Stone Brewing in Kal-e-forn-ya and Yingling in
Pencil-vane-e-a, use labels I have yet to be able to
remove.

You need to see one of these bottles up close to
understand the problem. Has anyone found a way to
remove these labels?

Dick

1) Home Repair issue? : )
2) Assume you're gonna brew! Been there; loved it!
3) I assume your problem bottles have the labels attached with that nasty
gummy water proof glue.
4) What I did was scrape the bulk of the crap off with a knife so the
chemicals have less to dissolve. I use Goo Gone. I scraped 6 bottles at a
time. Then placed a piece of cloth (wash cloth works well) on the first
bottle and saturate it with Goo Gone. After a few minutes I rub the glue off
and place the cloth on the second bottle (adding no additional Goo Gone).
By about the 6th bottle the solvent is exhausted.

The not so secret ingredient in Goo Gone is isopropanol (Propan-2-ol) if
you have an alternative supply. With Goo Gone they just add gelling
agent and something to stop the smell, a bit.

Peter

www.the-brights.net