Posted to alt.home.repair
Will[_4_] Will[_4_] is offline

Default Landscape lighting fixtures - low voltage

On Oct 25, 2:01 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:21:01 -0400, RBM wrote:
I agree. The higher end low voltage fixtures are made exactly the same as
the line voltage ones, with a different socket, and essentially are wired
the same except for the type of cable used. They don't use the stab type
connectors which oxidize in a short time. The 20 watt bi-pin type are fine,
but I find that the MR-16 sockets don't hold up in the hostile environment
of the Northeast

Amperage is what matters and low voltagelightingoperates at far higher current
than high voltagelighting. The power dissipated by an inline resistance is
I^2*R; A 60W 120V system will draw 0.5 amps and a 1/2 ohm series resistance
will dump 1/8th of a watt. A 60W 12V system will draw 5 amps, and the same 1/2
ohm resistance will dump 12.5 watts and probably burn out in short order.

Hi - i'm kind of new to this google groups but joined because we make
low voltage lights in Australia, using stainless steel and LED's -
they certainly aren't those flimsy lights you'd get at HomeDepot. We
are still in R&D mode at the moment but have just finished a big trial
and looking to make some more tests. BTW they are also solar powered
so there is no need to kill the environment the images are not on
the web site yet but will be soon - check out some of the other things
we do at www.colinklupiec.com - cheers - will