Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default How to fix leak

wrote:
I have a leak in solder connection on 1 inch cast copper/brass? "T" .....
this is hot water pipe for Boiler/home heating system..... I have made
several modifications and when I refilled with water and pressurized found
very small leak....about 5 drops a minute.....I thought I could repair with
epoxy putty, but did not work...tried twice and still leaks, seem like the
epoxy putty just does not seal the uneven surface of the cast copper/brass
"T" fitting...and after 1/2 hour or so starts leaking again.........I know
the right way to fix is to drain system and re solder connection, would like
to avoid this if I can till next summer when I have to drain again
anyway........Is there another product that might work?

If you can see exactly where the leak is coming from and there is solder
surrounding it you might try swaging it closed by gently tapping on a
small pin punch placed on the "hole".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia