Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Attaching patio cover to house

On Nov 12, 8:51 am, "GaryH" wrote:
I want to build a patio cover (slanted roof) over my patio. What would be
the best way to attach the rafters to the side of my house? I have
Hardi-Plank siding on my house and studs directly behind the HardiPlank.
I'd obviously remove the HardiPlank that is in the way and attach the
rafters to the studs. But how?

Should I do something like bolt/nail a board horizontally across the studs
and then attach my rafters to that? I'm not an expert carpenter but once I
get this part figured out I know enough to handle the rest of the project.
I just want to make sure that it is attached well to the house but not
overkill, either.

Typically this is done by lag bolting a ledger through the siding into
the studs.

Depending on local code requirements & the patio rafter span.....1/2
or 5/8" lags normally will do the trick.

Stagger the bolt pattern; high / low. A 2x6 or 2x8 header should do
the trick; depending on your design.

If you measure or other locate the studs, careful layout of the ledger
will allow you to pre-drill it & hit the studs dead on.

If your patio cover (actually a low slope roof?) is solid...consider
the pitch needed & the effect on header height at the edge of the
patio.

cheers
Bob