Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Wiring All Kitchen Lights on One Circuit?

wrote:
On Nov 12, 10:26 am, dpb wrote:
JB wrote:
As part of a kitchen remodeling job, I am replacing a single overhead
fluorescent fixture with ~7 recessed cans and then a bunch of undercab
lights (either halogens or small fluor. boxes). Since the existing
fixture is part of a circuit that goes elsewhere in the house, I
calculated that all of those recessed lights would be too much for the
line. So I'm planning on running a new, dedicated 15A or 20A line.
Assuming the loads are within the capacity of the line (which I think
it is), the question is whether there is anything wrong with having
ALL of the lights -- overhead and undercab -- on this single circuit.
It seems OK to me but just checking.

It's fine by code -- the only thing is convenience. If you were to trip
a breaker on this lighting circuit at night is there sufficient light in
the area to cope well enough without a second lighting circuit? Same
reason it's best to not have all lights in any area on a single circuit.

--

I'd definitely put the under-counter lights on a seperate switch.

That's a different question than which circuit powers them...