Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default source of flex cable

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Michael Kennedy wrote:

I have a casio ex word dictionary that has a broken flex ribbon cable.
Is
there anywhere that I could possibly source a replacement. The
connection on
each end is the same, and I could live with something that will just
work
rather than the original cable. I think there are 28 pins on the end but
it
is rather difficult to count. The spacing is the same as if you lined 30
gauge wire side by side.

That's not much help to non-americans. 'Gauge' i.e. AWG is a US only
measure.
The rest of the world uses mm.

Can you measure the pitch properly ?

Graham

I later measuered it and it appears to have 2 pins per mm and 27 pins.

If it's one of the flexiprints where the tracks terminate as 'fingers' which
then insert into a connector, and it's gone near the end, just at one of the
reinforcing strips, you can often remake the end by removing the reinforcing
strip, and cutting the flexiprint back to just beyond the fracture, with a
sharp scalpel. The plastic coating over the tracks can then be fairly easily
removed using a blunt curved scalpel blade, to expose a new set of
'fingers'. This 'new' end can then be inserted into the connector, and the
reinforcing strip slipped back in behind it.

They are made by Multicomp or Pro Power

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/100853.pdf

and over here, Farnell keep them. You can cut down ones that are too wide
with a sharp scalpel, so I guess you could use a 35 way. You could try
www.farnell.com and have a look at their US site. Part number for a 35
way 0.5mm pitch here, is 1455407

Arfa