Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default mysterious outlet wiring question

HamNCheese wrote:
I'm trying to install a GFCI outlet on our (110v) washer and dryer. I
turned off the breaker and confirmed that the outlet was off. The I
opened the outlet: it has one red wire, and two white wires attached.
I figured as usual red was hot, white neutral, with white looping on
to some other outlet. But then I got a shock off the white wire. I
measured the voltage between the two white wires and I get 110v. If I
measure between the red and either white wire I get no voltage.

Can someone explain to me what's going on here? Are the colors just
backwards? And why does the breaker turn off the outlet but I still
get voltage on the line?

This sounds odd to me, how many cables are in the box and which wire
colors are in the cable?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.